Here are our Recommendations for a Healthy Smile...
- Brush your teeth at least twice each day with fluoride toothpaste. Aim for first thing in the morning and before going to bed. Once a day, use floss to clean food your toothbrush missed.
- Drink water that contains added fluoride if you can. Fluoride protects against dental decay. Most public water systems in the United States have added fluoride. Check with your community's water or health department to find out if there is fluoride in your water. You also may want to use a fluoride mouth rinse, along with brushing and flossing, to help prevent tooth decay.
- Gently brush all sides of your teeth with a soft-bristled brush. Round and short back-and-forth strokes work best. Take time to brush along the gum line, and lightly brush your tongue to help remove plaque and food.
- Ask your dentist or dental hygienist to show you the best way to floss your teeth.
- Change your toothbrush every 3 months, or earlier if the toothbrush looks worn or the bristles spread out. A new toothbrush removes more plaque.
- If you wear dentures, be sure to remove them at night and clean them before putting them back in the next morning.
- Limit how much of soda you drink. Even diet soda contains acids that can erode tooth enamel.